Tax:10 Things to Do Before March 31-Moneymindz

Indian financial year runs from 1 April to 31 March. Accordingly, the Income-Tax Return is to be prepared and filed for the relevant financial year.

Indian financial year runs from 1 April to 31 March. Accordingly, the Income-Tax Return is to be prepared and filed for the relevant financial year. 

31st March is an important date as it marks the end of a financial year. The last few weeks are when we rush for the documents/investment proofs, based on which we compute our tax liability. 

Submit your investments proofs:

To get tax relief for your investments, you have to submit the proof of investments to your employer. There are a variety of investments that offer tax relief under section 80Csuch as ;

  • Receipt of insurance premium
  • Deposits made in your public provident fund (PPF) account
  • Investment made in equity-linked savings schemes (ELSS)
  • Purchase of National savings certificates (NSC)
  • Children’s tuition fees paid, etc. Your employer would need the details and the documentary proof of your investments to provide the deduction under Section 80C of Income Tax Act. This will help you to save tax up to Rs. 100000

READ  The Precious Gift After My 12th Grade - MoneyMindz

Submit proof of HRA (House Rent Allowance) & travel receipts:

You can claim income tax deduction under HRA & travel receipts, if you intend to claim a deduction for house rent allowance or travel receipts, please make sure that your rent and travel receipts have been submitted to your employer. Following are the necessary proofs for this deduction;

  • Rent receipt
  • Travel receipts
  • Lease deed, etc,

Collect TDS certificates:

To ensure the right amount of Tax deduction, you need to collect all your TDS (Tax Deducted at Source) certificates from banks (Account statements) and your previous employer. TDS certificates and Bank statements will help you to figure out the interest income on bank deposits and pay balance taxes if any. 

If you have changed the job during the course of the financial year, then you need to collect your TDS certificate (Form 16) from your former employer, and this should be submitted to your new employer so that you can ensure that the right amount of tax deductions are being accounted for in your salary. Following are the sources from where you have to collect TDS certificate ;

  • TDS certificate from Banks
  • TDS certificate from former employer

READ  How Strengthen Your Finances

Collect Principal and interest repayment certificates of home loan:

Repayment of home loan interest/principal will also help you to reduce the tax burden. If you have a running home loan, you must ensure that you collect the appropriate principal and interest repayment certificate from the lender for the amount paid during the financial year. You are also required to provide a computation to your employer specifying the income/loss under the head ‘House Property’ along with the proof of interest and principal repayment, to claim the deduction.

Obtain valid receipts for donations:

You can avail tax deduction under donations made also, but make sure that the donee trust/institution is registered under section 80G, to claim tax deduction they should be registered under Sec 80G. Your employer can provide the deduction for this donation in computing your taxes if you have made the donations to any of the specified charitable institutions. Always ensure that you get a receipt for the donation amount.

Collect receipt of health insurance premium

You can claim a tax deduction for the premium paid on health insurance. You have to make sure that you have obtained a receipt for the premium paid. You can avail deduction for the premium for self and family. 

Deductions under section 80D:

  • Rs. 15,000 on premium paid for insurance on the health of the assessee and his family.
  • TRs. 15,000 is admissible if the medical insurance is taken for parents of the assessee.
  • If the insured is a senior citizen, the above-mentioned limit will become Rs. 20,000.

Keep necessary records for interest on educational loan

You can claim a deduction for interest paid on the educational loan, but make sure that you have the necessary records to authenticate the same.

Telephone, medical and other bills:

If your employer is offering you any reimbursements towards telephone charges, medical expenses, etc., then you must submit the relevant receipts to your employer. This will reduce your cash in hand.

Compute the capital gains:

If you have sold or transferred any capital asset like house property, shares, mutual funds etc. during the financial year, you need to compute capital gains/losses on these transactions. The tax rates are different for long-term and short-term capital gains. Your taxability will be determined depending upon the classification and the type of asset.

Compute your tax:

Once if you finish the above-mentioned steps start computing your tax for the year and assess whether you are required to pay any tax. The same can be paid as self-assessment tax after March 31. To avoid the last minute rush of collecting the necessary documents all should be ready with all the above-mentioned documents.

Free Financial Advice on Investment by Certified Financial Planners Press Below Button


For More Information:


*Are you Looking For Free Financial Advice*

*Fill The Form Our CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER Will Call You Freely*

Give Us a Missed Call On 022 – 62116588

(Or) Download Our MoneyMindz -Expert Seller APP

(Or) Visit:

(Or) Download Our MoneyMindz-Financial Freedom APP

Your email address will not be published.